Avengers: Infinity War is just over a month away. The culmination of a decade long franchise of films, I think everyone predicts this to be the biggest film of the year. I’m anticipating it giving Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Avatar a run for highest earning films of all time in both the domestic and international market. Aside from all of the hype and the spectacle, however,, I’m not especially into these Marvel movies. I do think they’re getting better (Spider-Man: Homecoming, Black Panther), but the last Avengers, in my opinion, is a bad film. Honestly, all I’m interested in with Avengers: Infinity War and its untitled sequel are who lives and who dies. Here are my predictions of Avengers who will die in these films:
- Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.)-The leader of the franchise, Robert Downey Jr.’s inspired take on the super hero and billionaire mogul, Tony Stark, was the beginning of all that Marvel’s become. What was once an odd choice for casting has opened the doors for the likes of Paul Rudd, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Chris Pratt in similar bouts of unique casting choices that worked. Downey Jr. has given us a trilogy of solo films, supporting performances in several films, and captained 2 Avenger flicks. At some point he’s going to want to move on, right? I really believe it will be here. If not this year’s installment, then next year’s. In fact, it doesn’t make sense for him to die first film, so I say he dies to end the second part. He’ll do something heroic to save the universe.
- Loki (Tom Hiddleston)-There’s much speculation due to the intense trailer that Thor could die in Infinity War. He’s technically rounded out his solo trilogy so it’s definitely possible, but my feeling is they wouldn’t show it in the trailer unless it was misleading. More importantly, he’s only recently become interesting. I speak of Thor: Ragnarok, the only Thor movie that was good. Kill him off now? Maybe, but I don’t think so. I predict Loki finally dies for good, redeeming himself, in an emotional scene with his brother.
- Captain America (Chris Evans)-Finished his solo trilogy which, as you see, is a common theme in my predictions. I feel pretty confident that this will happen. I’m also going to step out on a limb, and predict that he dies first installment, making him the big death that starts them all. We’ll say climax of Infinity War, Captain America dies for more than just his country. I get the feeling that Evans is ready to move on.
- Falcon (Anthony Mackie)-One of the minor players, I say he dies in the climax of the first installment along with his buddy. As a not very revered member of the Avengers, he’s extremely expendable.
- Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan)-I predict he dies first out of all of them, horrifically. This would effectively establish Thanos as a terrifying monster, and raise the stakes dramatically.
- Heimdall (Idris Elba)-Though a god, I’m surprised he’s still alive. Elba should be doing better roles than this one. It’s time to lay it to rest. First film, I say.
- Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen)-She’ll be joining her brother after an early exit from Infinity War.
- Black Widow (Scarlet Johansson)-I think this character which has grown into one of the franchise’s bigger ones without ever having a solo film is ready for a dramatic death. I’ll predict that it doesn’t happen until next year though.
- Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner)-This character’s uniqueness as a family man could make it extra sad if he were to perish. I think that’s just what will happen as he dies early first film.
- Vision (Paul Bettany)-My final death prediction is Jarvis/Vision. He’s been around for a long while, and it’s time his character gets a fitting finish to his arc.
Overall, I think Marvel leans out the roster a bit, leaving only the major heroes (and War Hammer, for some reason, I don’t see him dying).